Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Bahamas 2016 first stop

I read in a cruising blog recently that “comfort is the killer of dreams”.  I must say that I have to agree! We were supposed to throw off the lines at noon, but, and there is ALWAYS a butt, we kept thinking of things that we needed. Baskets and bins, towels and shampoo, oh and cheese. The other things, I suppose we could live without, but cheese, I mean really! Let’s not get crazy on our first day out! But I digress. The things that we use daily, our comforts, needed a space and on our boat, space is a limited commodity!  We finally squeezed, squished, pushed and shoved it all in places that we will probably forget about. Last year, we found a case of Fresca on the last week of our trip. I had taken to drinking plain water… perish the thought….and when Ray went to grab a tool from  the hanging locker, low and behold, the heavens parted and the angels sang as he pulled up a case of FRESCA! Let me tell you that was a joyous night akin to Christmas morning when you realize there is no hard candy in your stocking AND you got the actual Nike shoes and not the Kmart knock off brands!!! Yes sir…..  Who knows what we will find at the end of this trip but it is all here. 
I will enjoy, as the days melt into weeks, our needs dwindling away with the stress that has built up since we got back last year. As we dropped the anchor tonight, I smiled knowing that I do not have anything pressing other than toasting the sunset.
There are no news stations, no traffic, no TV and limited internet. What we need, will change over the next couple of months and that makes me happy. Our 41 foot boat is so much easier to clean and maintain which leaves time for snorkeling, sailing, fishing, beach combing and exploring! Back on land, it is easy to get caught up in fear, to give in to the notion that the world is a horrid place, but I will not allow that. Here on NuTrix, the world is ours to explore.

Tonight we are anchored in Cayo Costa.    
          

The sun is setting, the breeze is whisking down the hatches, our favorite jazz music is playing through the radio and our sundowners are waiting on the bow. This is the life that we have chosen. This is our chance to see the world, even if it is a small part. This is the time that we will make memories.  Tomorrow we sail, hopefully, for Sanibel. The ocean is calling and NuTrix is so ready to feel the salt spray, to let the wind catch her sails, to dance upon the water again. Ray and I once again get to be on an adventure. Where we will end up and who will meet, is written in the stars. A good captain can navigate by those stars… and so we go!!!!  Adventure waits…



1 comment:

  1. I loved Cayo Costa. That was a fun weekend, but this week in the Exumas is going to be so exciting

    ReplyDelete