Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Adventure begins!!

We have been planning to leave June 10th since we decided to throw off the lines and GO…… My day started at 8:50 with my daughter, Hannah asking if I was going to get up!!! I had planned on a seven A.M. wake up, however, my wonderful husband, fearful for his life, let me sleep after he got up. I truly am not a morning person, though today would have been an exception. Ray and I spent most of Tuesday provisioning the perishables and last minute forgotten items on our ever growing list. We tried to pack the boat last night, but we stopped to go out to dinner with Hannah and then go to the bookstore for ONE book that I wanted!! The one book turned into eight and after the initial shock seeing the total, we headed back to try and store and pack, provision and stuff things into every crevice on NuTrix. Not an easy task!!! When we got home, Hannah’s boyfriend, Calvin was there along with ice cream….. goodbye loading of the boat!!! Sooooo this morning we needed to get it all finished so we could leave. I am always amazed at the pull of land on our priorities. One more trip to Publix, one more check of the bedroom, one more talk with Hannah, one more…. one more!!!!  Finally, at 12:30, we threw the lines and waved goodbye to Hannah and our kitty , Scout and headed off into a 15 knot head wind…. Such is our adventure ALWAYS!!!!


No matter which way we go, the wind seems to be in our face. I made sure the hatches were down but saltwater always makes its way inside! Ray turned on the autopilot… a blessing from above… well actually from West Marine and we sat back and watch the waves splash over the rails into the cockpit and all over us!!!! The sun was out and it was actually a nice day. We kept hoping the winds would shift enough for us to throw up the sails, but it was not in the cards, the atmosphere, or the grand scheme of life!! 
Once we turned west at the Channel Five marker, the water changed to a pretty bluish green and the wind shifted to the WSW… of course….!!!!
We finally saw the Pelican Bay anchorage and decided to tuck in for the evening instead of tempting the thunderstorm gods. We’ve done that before and 33 knots of wind with six foot seas is just not all that fun. So, here we are in Pelican Bay. A lovely little anchorage right off the Cayo Costa Park entrance.  If you are ever on a boat and looking for a great get-a-way, this is an amazing spot. Just hug the shore after the 74 red marker on the ICW. The bay has recently been dredged so it isn’t a problem. We draw 4 and a half feet and glide right in.
The sunsets here are spectacular and it is quiet. We have our fans running since we do not have AC without shore power. There is also the breeze from the crazy winds to keep us cool. Tonight Ray is grilling steaks and I’m slicing some tomatoes for a yummy dinner. Life is really great. Our adventure has started!!! Tomorrow we are running down the coast to Sanibel unless the weather cooperates, then we may keep going for Indian Key in the 10000 islands. I’m very excited to be here with my handsome pirate.  Tonight I will look up and try to find the “lucky star” that has been smiling on me. Until next time, my friends…. Fair winds and following seas!!! Though on NuTrix… yeah right… haha

1 comment: